Free School Meals & Clothing Grants Update
Free School Meals and Clothing Grants update (9 October – 22 December 2020)
Currently, BACS payments are set up for those families who qualified for free school meals based on the criteria applied during the lockdown and summer period. However, a number of changes are due to take place, please see below;
- A payment covering the four week period from Monday 20th of September to Friday 16th of October was made on the 17th of September. The next payment to be made will cover the period from Tuesday 27th of October to Friday 20th of November. This payment will be £39.90 per primary pupil and £43.70 per secondary pupil.
- As of Monday 19 October any BACS payments made will not cover school holiday periods.
- All P1-3 children will continue to be provided with a free packed lunch from our school meals service. In addition, from Monday 2 November children will be offered a hot option choice as part of their packed lunch menu. Your child’s school will provide you with details of the ordering system prior to this date.
- For all other children and young people from P4-S6 who are entitled to free school meals, BACS payments will continue until further notice (with exception of school holiday periods).
- Whilst there won’t be a traditional Christmas school lunch, the schools meals service are committed to providing a festive packed lunch theme. This will take place from week beginning Monday 14 December and further details will follow.
- Please consider applying for free school meals and school clothing grant, details below. Alternatively, contact your child’s school if you have any further questions or concerns about the provision of school lunches/school clothing grant or if your financial circumstances have changed and you need additional advice and support.
- If you are in extreme financial hardship you may want to apply to the Scottish Welfare Fund using link below;
If your financial circumstances have changed, you can apply for free school meals and a clothing grant if you receive:
- Universal Credit (where your monthly earned income is not more than £610)
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income based Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Your child is also entitled to free school lunches and a clothing grant if you receive:
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £16,105
- Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £6,900
How to apply
To apply, download and complete the application form below then email it with any supporting documents to email@example.com. There is a single application form for both benefits. You need only apply once per year. Supporting evidence will be needed at the time of applying. We cannot process applications until we receive this.
Please follow this advice to reduce the risks of sending personal information by email:
- Do not use a shared device to send your email.
- Do not use an unsecured or public Wi-Fi network to send your email.
- Before sending, double check the email address you are sending to is firstname.lastname@example.org
- After sending, delete your personal documents from your sent email.
- Free school meals and clothing application form (Word version)
- Free school meals and clothing application form (PDF version)
Advice for mobile/tablet device users
Please use either Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat Reader(both free to download from your app store) to open up the form which should allow you to complete and save the application ready to email. Email the completed form and any supporting documents to email@example.com
What happens next?
We aim to process all applications within 28 days, although this may vary in busy periods. Free school meals will be awarded immediately, and clothing grants will normally be awarded within 28 days from receipt of application. Regular payments will be made up to 31 March 2021